It may be January, but Pawling Recreation is always “Amped for Camp!” What keeps us warm on these cold winter days is thinking about Summer! Summer Camp registration has already begun and spaces are already filling fast. Parents are already talking about signing up for more sessions and registering with friends. We anticipate an even busier season in 2020, so spread the word and lock in the days you want your children or grandchildren to attend camp at Lakeside Park! Here are the Top 10 things you must know about camp in 2020.
1. Your Camp Staff are AMPED! We’ve been meeting with returning staff for the last few weeks, evaluating what things worked well and what we can improve upon using their input! Every time we have a brainstorming session with a staff member, we are enhancing our program from the ground up to build something that not only campers enjoy, but our staff enjoy, too! It’s a valuable tool when staff are engaged in the programming process and take ownership over their days of summer in the park alongside your kids. We’ve already had a lot of new ideas and can’t wait to hit the ground running on Day 1 of camp!
2. There are 8 weeks of Camp - Yes, you are covered ALL. SUMMER. LONG. Beginning July 6 until August 28, each two week session of camp will be jam-packed with activities, trips, and themed events. It’s pretty much a guarantee that all campers will be going home exhausted and excited to come back to camp for another day full of fun. We can’t wait to share some creative ways we are going to use our Studio with tons of expressive art time alongside our new themes this year!
3. Extended hours are MORE AFFORDABLE – Since our regular camp day runs from 9am-4pm, there are morning and afternoon options to extend the camp day for your child as early at 7am and until 6pm. We have made the before care and after care options both the same price and more affordable if extra care during the summer is something that your family needs or if it’s something that your child wants! Most kids thrive outdoors in the camp environment and it’s the perfect opportunity to allow your child to have the maximum amount of time here at Lakeside Park and get the most value out of their summer experience when the days are long.
4. Adventure Camp returns! Our goal is to give campers the opportunity to explore the great outdoors and allow them the chance to take charge. Adventure Campers will experience true park immersion with nature-based themes each week. This program will focus on team-building, outdoor education and survival strategies. Our experienced and knowledgeable staff will encourage cooperative problem solving, how to use resources wisely and creative exploration. If your child likes a bit more freedom and a less structured schedule, this camp may be the right fit for any 10-14 year-old girl or boy.
5. The Giant Slide is back! –In 2019, the gigantic, inflatable slide measuring over 16 feet was added to the lake and it was a HUGE hit. Campers will have time dedicated to using the slide and other equipment making memories that will last a lifetime. We may even have some new additions in mind… stay tuned!
6. Swim Program Enhancement – both Swim Lessons and Swim Team are easily blended into the camp day as extra programs! No time to hustle back and forth to swim lessons or to swim team? No worries! Swim Team practice happens 5 days a week with a blend of morning and evening practices to fit the busy schedules of our families. American Red Cross Swim Lessons can once again be added to the camp experience. Lessons will be scheduled during the camp day so that staff can easily transport your child to and from their lesson with the appropriate Water Safety Instructor. The less stress for parents, the better!
7. We are (still) DEVICE-FREE. We think that everyone can get the best benefit out of their camp experience when they are fully present and not distracted by notifications, alerts, or feeling that they are missing out in some way socially through their phones. If you don’t want anyone to miss out on fun this summer, make sure your child is HERE at Lakeside! When campers and counselors feel uninhibited by a device, their success in a safe, creative camp space will only grow.
8. Camp loves GAGA. Our inflatable Gaga pit for indoor fun on those rainy days AND our outdoor Gaga pit provide plenty of opportunities for our campers and staff to go Gaga every day!! When campers need a Gaga break, the “Chill Zone” is open to provide a creative down time where campers can color, build with Legos, create fuse bead master pieces or even read a book. With all the excitement going on throughout the day, sometimes a little chill time is exactly what our campers are looking for.
9. Exciting Trips are planned each session! Your camper has the option to attend the following trips this summer: Lake Compounce, Chelsea Piers Sports & Entertainment Complex, LEGOLAND, and The Castle Fun Center! Camp will still be held on-site for those not attending the trip. We like making sure you have options. Every camper has different needs and interests, so it’s our job to make sure that you get the best experience out of your summer season.
10. Amped for Camp Individual Days Available – before Session 1 of camp officially begins AND after Session 4 ends, we have some individual camp days that can be attended between 8am-6pm for one set daily fee per child. You have a choice to attend one day, some, or all of the days based on the needs of your schedules. Before Camp Starts: Monday, June 29 – Thursday, July 2 AND After Camp Ends: Monday, July 31 – Friday, September 4. We have you covered from the last day of school to the first day of school!
We hope to see everyone on Saturday, February 1 at Lakeside Park from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm at our Summer Camp Open House. We will be here to discuss all things Summer Camp! Join us and get AMPED FOR CAMP! Our Recreation Office can be reached at 845-855-1131 and more information about programming is available at www.pawlingrec.com. Connect with us on social media @pawlingrec on Instagram and Facebook.